"At times I think my coffee and tea addictions truly drive my artistic energy. It’s a small sacrifice for the greater good."

NaNoWriMo 10210: "Magic"

Posted: 10/22/10 | Written by Jeannie | Labels: , , , ,


Each step I took the sound of pine needles crunching echoed through the forest. The tall trees stretched upward like giants. My head trailed along the thick, cracked trunks until I felt I would fall backward. I breathed in, closed my eyes and listened to what mother earth created. Winds whispered as they wrapped themselves around my skin, a warm bath of love drawn by the mother herself. She rustled the boughs of Quaking Aspens that filled the underbrush with a blue and silver hue. Silver dollar leaves shook as they announced the Goddess presence, the sound of a creek side awakening. Ferns rippled, bending their bright green limbs gently to her waves of caresses. I was simply an observer in this dance between lovers.

She stopped, her whispered love faded. The meadow opened in front of me. I didn’t know what she wanted me to see. Her whispers maneuvered me to this spot where the grass grew in a chaotic jumble of colors. Green brush dotted with flowers only painters and poets could describe. Away from the cover of the giants the sun blazed down. I shielded my eyes as the grass turned a blinding white and back to their rich greens. The petite peddles tickled my hand as I walked into the unknown, desperately trying to connect with the force that guided me here.

It was there in the meadow, I found it, a connection with something more than myself. I sat amongst the grass, my hands in the earth. The dirt cold, clean, pure, I was rooted. I looked out from eyes which were no longer disconnected from my subconscious. A sway came over me, the rhythm of the grass vibrating with life, induced my mind to open and she returned. No longer a whisper mother earth lifted my hair, swirled it into the air like a tornado of happiness.

Earth’s winds blew, bending row after row of grass. She let her lover bow. Grasses pressed against my skin. Every kiss created a sparkle within my heart, they radiated outward until the sun was eclipsed by the otherworldly glow. The Goddess approved, my hair dropped to my shoulders. I breathed deeply and inhaled the life-force she bestowed. My fingers wiggled in the dirt, I knew it was time to uproot myself.

I lay on my back and looked at the luminous blue sky. My hand rested on my forehead, I could feel the coolness of dirt as it soaked into my skin. I didn’t want to wipe it away; I wanted to have this feeling forever. It was magic.


More NaNoWriMo 10210 prompts