"At times I think my coffee and tea addictions truly drive my artistic energy. It’s a small sacrifice for the greater good."

Writing Prompt: Wine Tasting

Posted: 1/12/10 | Written by Jeannie | Labels: ,

I fanned myself with the brochure. For some reason I didn’t think California would be so hot. The group clustered around a large oak barrel as the Master wine maker, or whatever they called him spouted the, ‘brilliance’ and ‘bouquet’ of this vintage. Still, as I fanned myself – I couldn’t believe that I was roped into taking this wine tasting tour.

“Silvia, you have got to try this. It tastes like the sun kissed meadow after a spring rain,” one of the cohorts said to the woman behind me. All I could think about was how gross that sounded. Who would want to taste a meadow? Eventually we made it to the tasting room. My best friend at my side: nodding and crinkling her brow as if she understood the explanations given to the group. Apparently I did not keep my distaste hidden. My eyes roll when the ‘Master’ started talking about strong starts and quick finishes which prompted her elbow into my ribs while I opened my mouth to reply.

“Ouch.” I threw an evil glance to her. “Why did you do that?”

“Because I knew what you were going to say.”

“I doubt you could know what I was about to say.” I snort. “All I was going to say was that a strong start and a quick finish.”

“Sounds just like every man you know.” She interrupts my sentence.

“Oh, um – then you did know what I was going to say.”

© Jeannie Hart 2010